Thursday, October 15, 2009

Enterprise Data Fabric is what we need?

I have just watched this presentation on Coherence by Cameron Purdy, a vice president in Oracle. Well, I think it is the very right direction they have been moving at so far. I encountered similar but custom solutions at least in three big projects at different companies. I must admit that no other architecture can fit equally well to the modern business requirements where delivering the most recent values across the enterprise is important (this is true for almost every modern application).

Frankly, I feel incredibly envious about the work they have been doing in Tangosol(now Oracle) :-). Quick search in Google and Wikipedia yields that there is a term for the technology and it is Enterprise Data Fabric (EDF) which sounds good to me.I feel like writing my own implementation of EDF based on experience I have got with that kind of systems.

Nowadays the biggest problem is that integration of systems has typically been done in a totally chaotic way. Even while some enterprise applications are using Coherence (or GemStone GemFire, or similar), others are not and will never be able to due to major architectural flaws making them incompatible with EDF. There are still so many applications designed on top of a relational database, for example. Honestly, almost every such system is cr*ppiest legacy nightmare, - totally inflexible, hard to maintain, so far away from low latency data delivery - and thus very inefficient.

No comments:

Post a Comment